Friday, March 12, 2010

The Plot Thickens!

I'm a little over halfway through the book (don't know what that is in Kindle-speak, but in my copy it's page 260). The two main characters are about to meet.

In my homiletics class in seminary we were told "if you hatch a snake at the beginning of a sermon you have to kill it before the end". Or, as playwright Anton Chekhov said "if you introduce a gun in Act I you have to use it in Act III". There are so many "snakes" and "guns" introduced in the first half of The Girl... that I'm wondering if Larsson will resolve them all by the end of the book. And then I remember the alarming trait in Swedish director Ingmar Bergmann's films of introducing more questions than answers. Hmmmm. I can deal with ambiguity in life, but I like my books tied up with a neat ending, thank you very much!

(For those of you who have finished the book, please, no hints!)

Also, BTW, the March 1st issue of Newsweek has a good article about Scandinavian films, including mention of The Girl...

No comments:

Post a Comment