Thursday, March 4, 2010

I'm well into The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - well, 11% according to Kindle, or "location 1026-32."  I'm wondering why Kindle doesn't forego this useless information and instead tell you the equivalent page numbers, so you can locate yourself intelligently to your friends who are reading the hardbound or paperback versions.

At any rate, beginning this book has been a little like the first day in a foreign country.  I felt disoriented, as in "What are they talking about?" and "What does it mean?"  Sweden and Poland are foreign to me, and strange.  After the intriguing prologue, I was as put off by the first chapter as I was by getting lost in Madrid 20 years ago, but more irritated.  I do not want to read about business discussions in Poland regarding companies I don't know or care about, by people whose references to names and places I don't understand.

The second chapter also began inauspiciously, and had I been just a trifle more impatient, I might have put down the book, like David did, and picked up something within my comfort zone .  But having been warned, I plugged on.  I'm glad I did.  Within a few more taps on my Kindle's "next page" button, I was interested.  A few more, and I was hooked.  I had met the girl with the dragon tattoo.

She's a skinny, gothic girl who does investigations for a likeable man who owns a security company.  We've already been introduced to an honorable investigative financial reporter who has gotten hoodwinked into a jail sentence for slander and libel - and guess who is being hired to investigate the reporter and his story?  That's it - The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo!

So come on other people, don't you have something to say about this book?

-Robin

1 comment:

  1. It's a great book, but disturbing for sure.

    ReplyDelete